Yvonne Jenkins Memorial Award
Jenkins of Rydal was a well-known historian and author of several
books on family history in the Bowenfels, Rydal and surrounding
areas. Yvonne was the convenor of the Lithgow & District Family
History Society in 1986 and over the years encouraged members to
write stories about their ancestors. The
Lithgow & District Family History Society Inc has chosen to
commemorate Yvonne's memory each year by conducting the Yvonne
Jenkins Memorial Award. Entry is open to both members and
non-members of the Society and is in the form of a short essay
(1,000 words). The topic for the 2014 award is "My Ancestor was
a .....". The winner of the Award, to be announced during
Family History month in August 2014, will receive a certificate and
one year's free membership of the Lithgow & District Family
History Society Inc. The winning essay will be published in the
Society's journal and on the web-site. Entries close on 30 April
2014 and must be accompanied by an entry form, which is available
here or by contacting the Society, PO Box 516, Lithgow 2790 or 02
6353 1089 during library hours.
Allan from Thirroul, was declared the winner of the inaugural Yvonne
Jenkins Memorial Award at a function held during Family History week
and chose to write about the eventful voyage of Stephen George
Fowler and Mary Ann McManus to Sydney on board the ship
"Zeminder". Marjorie's story is to be published in the
February 2014 edition of the Society's journal and can be read here.
In accepting her certificate, Marjorie mentioned that on the first
occasion that she visited the Society's Resource Centre in Donald
Street, the first person she spoke to was Yvonne and Marjorie paid
tribute to Yvonne's expertise in assisting her to research the
Fowler family in the Society's records. The photo is of Marjorie and
her husband Allan shown accepting her award.
The LDFHS has a War Heroes Project underway to
record the histories of men and women who enlisted and served in WWI
initially and will eventually include those who served in WWII. For
further information click here.
Resource centre & meeting rooms
Our resource centre/library and meeting rooms are
in the Ewen Smith Memorial Hall situated on the corner of Tank &
Donald/Guy Sts in Lithgow NSW.
view on Google maps: http://g.co/maps/gwy8
Phone number (during library hours)
+61 (02) 6353 1089
Please send all postal inquiries to:
PO Box 516
(Please include a large SAE)
1st Saturday of the month (except on long weekends)
that we will be closed on Good Friday 18 Apr 2014 & on Anzac Day
25 Apr 2014 and will be open on Tuesday 15 & 22 Apr 2014 from
6pm to 9pm.
To download a research inquiry form click here.
(remove ‘nospam’ to email us). Please also use
this email address to contact the webmaster.
Graveside Flower Service
We provide a graveside flower service.
for further details.
download a membership form click here.
for the year 1 March 2013 to end of February 2014 are: $5 joining
fee (a one-off fee to cover admin costs), $45 membership fee
(includes 3 journals posted to member's address, free admission to
LDFHS library during opening hours including assistance with
research enquiries, 2 hours free research by LDFHS research officer
for members who live outside Lithgow City Council area.)
download a credit card authority form click here
Guidelines for use of our centre:
of Records at LDFH&S INC Resource Centre
is a condition of entry that researchers are to use the
lockers provided for the secure storage of personal articles, including
handbags and other bags and larger folders.
following items may be taken into the Resource Centre:
of paper, loose paper, A4 and other bound notebooks
and spectacle case
computer without the bag. It must operate on battery power or on mains
power in designated area due to OH&S requirements.
camera. Use is allowed subject to Copyright or Deed of Gift not
Please note the
USB sticks / thumb drives or other portable drives are not to be
used in LDFHS computers.
CDs or DVDs can only be used in Society computers
Digital scanning of records is not
YOU THERE WHEN THE QUEEN VISITED LITHGOW?
Lithgow & District Family History Society
has chosen to celebrate the anniversary of the Queen’s Journey to
Lithgow in 1954 by hosting a 1950s themed Devonshire Tea at
Lithgow Library Learning Centre, Main Street on Saturday 12th
April 2014 at 9:30am. See
below for RSVP and further details.
Sixty years ago the people of Lithgow
enthusiastically welcomed Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh to
their city. The newspapers of the time recorded that there were '8,000
school children, many of these sons and daughters of coal miners,
among a crowd of 15,000 at the civic reception.'
The civic reception was held in Lithgow Park,
which was renamed Queen Elizabeth Park by Royal Assent after that day.
Lithgow’s 37 year old mayor (Alderman Harold
G Coates) was reported as 'giving a new lead on the tour. He asked
the Queen’s permission to call for three cheers. They were
perfectly timed and seemed to impress the Queen.'
On the last 20 yards of Her Majesty’s
progress she walked on a spectacular red, white and blue striped
woollen blanket carpet, which was specially woven at the Lithgow
The morning tea on 12th April 2014
will provide the opportunity for members of the community to share
their memories and their memorabilia, perhaps a square of that
blanket that was reportedly distributed to residents as a Royal
Visit souvenir, or one of the silver teaspoons that were given to
those employed at the Berlei Factory.
Ian Coates will present the film of the 1954
Queen’s Visit to Lithgow, originally filmed for the Coates family
and transferred to digital format by Brian Hustwayte for future
generations to enjoy.
a young Legacy ward, chosen to present a bouquet to Her Majesty, will
describe the events leading up to the day and share her memories of
this important day. The dress Janice wore for the occasion will be
The Lithgow & District Family History
Society is always mindful that, over time, memorabilia and photos
are lost when a new generation does not appreciate the memories of
an older generation, or does not have the space to store these
items. There will be the
opportunity for people who wish to allow their memorabilia to be
photographed and their photographs scanned so that future
generations of researchers can appreciate this memorable occasion in
the history of Lithgow.
The Society is looking for further items for
the display and can be contacted at its Resource Centre on the Cnr
of Tank & Donald Streets, Lithgow on Tuesdays from 6 – 9 p.m.
or on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4
p.m. or by phoning 02
6353 1089 during these hours or contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 0409 157 130