|OTHER INTERESTS of ALLAN WATSON|
What is on this page:
As you read, you will find that I have a rather mixed bag of interests.
If you wish to discuss aspects of any of these subjects, email me at:
|Oil shale, Newnes and the Wolgan Valley|
This is the basis of my current interests at Newnes and covers the following subjects:
Of course, there is a particular emphasis on those aspects connected with, or relevant to,
Newnes and the Wolgan Valley.
- The history of the oil shale industry in Australia;
- Technical aspects of oil shale mining and processing;
- The railways that were built to serve this industry in Australia;
- The towns and other services connected with this industry;
- The history of the Wolgan Valley and the surrounding area.
I am mainly interested in railway history, with an emphasis on the following areas:
I am also have a more general interest in the following:
- Railway goods (freight) wagons, particularly those in New South Wales;
- Railway structures in New South Wales;
I am a member of the Australian Railway Historical Society, NSW Division and several
other railway enthusiast and special interest groups. I currently do some voluntary research
work for the Railway Resource Centre of the ARHS at Redfern, NSW and get my hands dirty once
a month at the Sydney Tramway Museum workshop.
- Narrow gauge railways in South Australia;
- Tramways in New South Wales;
- Model Railways.
I have had a general interest in Australian History since my days in primary school. Today, in addition to my interests
in the history of Newnes, the oil-shale industry and railways, I am also particularly interested in the history of those
areas where I am often located. These include:
- History and historic structures in the Ryde district of Sydney.
- History and historic structures in the Lithgow district of New South Wales.
- The Aboriginal background to the Lithgow area. (This is an extension of my Newnes interests.)
- Church. (See "Religion" heading on my main personal page)
- Military. I was in the Army Reserve (then called "CMF") for some years. I joined through an officer training
course and was then assigned to 133 Div. Loc. Battery (Artillery) at North Manly. I was later with 7 Field Regiment, at
This page last updated: 27Nov2008
|Links to other web-sites that may be of interest:|
The following organisations are located in or near Lithgow and are not all that far from my
The following places are also well worth visiting for research:
- Railway Resource Centre, Redfern. (Open Tuesdays and Saturdays. See ARHS link above for details.)
- State Library and Mitchell Library, Sydney.
- State Archives, Kingswood and Globe Street, Sydney.
- Australian Archives, Chester Hill.